Since I last posted I’ve moved, spent months growing my vintage business and am back into blowing glass regularly. The recent finds section of this blog has made a move to my new blog all about collecting vintage: Ambassador of Grooviness.
This fall I helped my old college glass group with their annual pumpkin sale and made some pumpkins to sell. I made several with this beautiful amber color that I have. When blown out on the pumpkin body it becomes this light amber color but stays a rich brown color on the stems.
But of course it wouldn’t be fall without making lots of simple orange and green pumpkins.
I’m planning on starting earlier next year and making pumpkins in the spring or summer. I’ve always done well with seasonal items and am planning on filling my Etsy shop up with pumpkins before next fall.
When I started making ornaments again I was excited to find a box of glass color I’d completely forgotten about! Sometime before I moved last year I ordered some beautiful colors, boxed them up and completely lost track of them. I had a great time mixing colors (mostly transparent colors under white) to see how they’d look made into ornaments. I have a variety of ornaments available in my Etsy shop.
A few days ago I rented some more shop time. Now that I’m paying to blow glass I’m being much more careful about making things I know I can finish quickly and sell. I’ve sold a few ornaments that I made last time, so I’m hoping I can keep selling enough to buy more shop time. A few weeks ago I made my first batch of ornaments for the season. I made about 10 in two hours. This time I was able to make 20 things in the same amount of time. What’s even better though is that the ornaments I made weighed less overall. Making ornaments thin is tough! It’s something I’ve never done all that well. But with practice lately mine have been getting thinner and thinner.
I don’t have much color at the moment. I’ve been making mixes with some of the leftover frit I had from other projects and even crushing up some of the bar I had to make frit. I’ve learned a few good lessons so far about which colors interact well with each other. So far I’ve gotten a few ornaments out of the annealer that were just hideous because I didn’t know the colors would look so bad together. Once I order some more color I want to start making some vases, tumblers and other projects for after the Christmas season is over.
Here’s some photos of the ornaments I made. All are available for sale on Etsy:
Ever since my pumpkin making retreat I’ve been obsessed with doing production work. Selling things I’d taken a lot of time to make was rewarding in ways I haven’t felt in a long time. I’ve been selling vintage on Ebay full time for about 2 years now and am starting to get burnt out. Since the holiday shopping rush is already going strong I’m trying to get some holiday items made while I can. A few days ago I rented shop time at the studio by my house and started making ornaments. I was able to crank out about 10 ornaments that I’ll best listing in my Etsy shop in the coming days.
So tonight I got to try out the mold I made to blow my glass putz houses. I didn’t expect it to work out on the first try but was pleasantly surprised that my plan worked! I’ve still got some tweaking to do to the design but am very excited with how the first few turned out.
After pouring a wax of the original model I made a two part plaster mold that I could blow into.
This pretty little piece of plaster coated inside with graphite is one half of the two part mold I blew into to make the house.
Two part plaster mold
Shape of glass going into the mold
I tried the design in clear a few times. When my first attempts come out the annealer I can start to plan what to do differently to the finished pieces. As is the nature of glass the house ended up a bit more rounded than the original model. I like the effect but might try and find ways to make the angles of the roof show up better. I also need to decide what colors I plan to make the finished pieces in.